Banciu, Gabriel Marius
- Cristina Şuteu
Romanian musicologist and music aesthetician. He studied at Cluj-Napoca Conservatory (1976–81) where he joined the academic staff (in 1996), earned a doctorate on music aesthetics (1999), was pro-rector (2008–12), and became president of the Senate in 2012.
Owing to his multiple interests Banciu has been recognized as a member of several professional music associations (starting in 2002), an evaluator on many national committees and music competitions (starting in 2006), a member of the board of directors at the Union of Romanian Composers and Musicologists (starting in 2014), the vice-president of the ‘Performing Arts Commission’ within the National Council for the Certification of University Titles, Diplomas, and Certificates (C.N.A.T.D.C.U., starting in 2016), a peer reviewer on journals (Musicology Papers, Musicology Today, Studia Musica), and an organizer of international conferences (The International Congress on Musical Signification in 2018 and the ‘Sigismund Toduţă’ International Festival since 2013).
He has published studies in specialized journals (including Studii toduţiene, Studii mozartiene, Lucrări de muzicologie, Muzica, and Intermezzo), and several textbooks for university courses (including Writing, Editing and Presentation of Scientific Texts (2017, with Ecaterina Banciu), Musical Rhetoric (2016, with Ecaterina Banciu), Musical Stylistics (2012), Forms and Musical Analysis (2010), and Musical Aesthetics (2010)).
- Semnificaţia estetică a programatismului muzical [The aesthetic meaning of musical programmatism] (Cluj-Napoca, 2000)
- Gen, Opus, Formă [Genre, opus, form] (Cluj-Napoca, 2006)
- Introducere la estetica retoricii muzicale [Introduction to the aesthetic of musical rhetoric] (Cluj-Napoca, 2006)
- Muzicologice [From musicology] (Cluj-Napoca, 2006)
- with C. and M. Mihăescu: Management educaţional şi IT [Educational management and IT] (Cluj-Napoca, 2007)
- Estetică muzicală [Musical aesthetics] (Cluj-Napoca, 2010)
- Forme şi analize muzicale [Forms and musical analysis] (Cluj-Napoca, 2010)
- with E. Banciu: Musical Rhetoric (Cluj-Napoca, 2017)
- Bibliografia națională a României: Cărți, albume, hărți [National bibliography of Romania: books, albums, maps], vol.56/13–18 (2007), 114–15
- R. Hübner, ed.: Enciclopedia Personalităţilor din România [Encyclopedia of Romanian personalities] (Bucharest, 2009 [4th edn of Who’s Who])
- V. Cosma: Muzicieni din România: Lexicon bio-bibliografic: Addenda [Musicians from Romania: bio-bibliographic lexicon: addenda] (Bucharest, 2011)
- C. Şuteu: ‘O D-ecern- A-R- E a unui medalion aniversar: Intelligenti pauca sufficiunt, Gabriel Banciu!’ [An award of an anniversary medallion: intelligenti pauca sufficiunt, Gabriel Banciu!], Actualitatea muzicală [The music news] (2017), no.1, p. 34, http://www.ucmr.org.ro/Texte/AM-2017-01.pdf