Kaunas (Pol. Kowno; Russ. Kovno)
- Adeodatas Tauragis
Second city of Lithuania and capital from 1920 to 1939. Following Lithuania’s absorption by Russia in 1795, its cultural and musical life was irregular; it had no permanent opera theatre but was visited by companies from Poland, Germany, Italy and Vilnius. In 1920 – in the now independent Lithuania – the establishment in Kaunas of the Lietuvių Meno Kūrėjų Draugija (Creative Artists’ Society) led to the foundation of the Operos Vaidykla (Opera Theatre). This opened on 31 December with ...