Keep up to date with the latest news from Oxford University Press and Grove Music Online
You can opt in to receive information from OUP in several different ways:
- Check this page regularly for the latest news related specifically to Grove Music Online.
- Join our mailing list to receive information about our latest publishing, including subject news and special offers.
- Connect via our Social Media channels: follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and via OUPBlog.
We’ve adjusted our Browse options at the top of each page in response to customer questions and to better align our category labels across OUP's websites. The changes are:
- “Geography” is now labeled “Region.” Browsing by region allows you to see all articles associated with a place, such as people born in the specific region, and includes categories such as Africa or Asia. Each of these regions includes sub-categories for individual countries.
- “Places” is now labeled “Place Type.” This change allows you to see articles about specific places, narrowing down by categories such as City or Site.
- “People” is now labeled “Occupation.” This menu allows you to browse biographies by the occupation of the subject. This category can work together with Instrument; for example, a search that selects both Performer (occupation) and Keyboard Instruments (instrument) will yield the biographies of keyboardists.
In addition, these same changes to browse options have been made on the search results list page as a way to further filter down search results.
March 2018 Update
Grove Music Online
- Southeastern and East Central Europe
- New content from AmeriGrove and the Instruments Dictionary
- Multimedia links
Eight years ago, in response to feedback from scholars, we launched UpdateGMO, a major program to ensure that Grove content remains authoritative and useful to researchers. This update includes 4 new articles that were commissioned through this program.
Thousands of articles have been updated through this program so far, but there is still much work to be done and we need your help. On behalf of the editorial team and Editor in Chief Deane Root, we invite you to participate by contacting the editors to:
- Submit updates to your articles
- Suggest corrections, revisions, or new articles
- Send us your current contact information
- Tell us what you think
Overseen by Editor in Chief Jim Samson, expanding our coverage of Southeastern and East Central Europe is our largest edited online project to date. View the list of countries covered and articles added or updated, which will continue to expand as the project continues. With this update we have added 34 new articles to the collection, including:
With this update we note the addition of 30 new articles to Grove Music Online from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music (AmeriGrove), edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. The first edition (1986) is widely considered the definitive reference work on the subject, and while some of the topics in this update appeared in the first edition, all are completely new to Grove Music Online and have been updated for the project.
This AmeriGrove update continues to expand the scope of Grove’s coverage. View the complete list of AmeriGrove articles added to Grove Music Online. Entries added in this update include:
- Rasmussen, Mary
- Sherwin, William F(isk)
- Society of Composers, Inc.
- Suzuki Association of the Americas
- Venues, performance
Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments
This update also includes 45 new articles from The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (GDMI). View the complete list of Instruments articles added to Grove Music Online. Entries added in this update include:
Some Grove articles now contain links to audio and video recordings and score facsimiles, thanks to partnerships with Alexander Street Press and Naxos Music Library, and are accessible to users/institutions who have subscriptions to these sites. You can find articles that contain multimedia links by entering “multimedia links” in the search bar and pressing enter.
We will continue to add links to multimedia materials with each new update. If you are a Grove author and would like to help us select links for your articles, please contact us.