Oxford Music Online hosts Grove Music Online and other Oxford music reference works. The site is updated three times per year, with new and updated articles, new tools for navigating content, and improved functionality.
Keep up to date with the latest news from Oxford University Press and Oxford Music Online
You can opt in to receive information from OUP in several different ways:
- Check this page regularly for the latest news related specifically to Oxford Music Online.
- To receive information about our latest publishing, including subject news and special offers, join our mailing list for North and South America or the UK, Europe and Rest of World.
- Connect via our Social Media channels: follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and via the OUP Blog.
March 2014 Update
Grove Music Online
With this update we note the addition of 399 new articles to Grove Music Online from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music (AmeriGrove), edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett, including biographies on Ernest Bloch, Bob Dylan, John (Aaron) Lewis, and Antonín (Leopold) Dvořák, and subject entries on electronic istruments, Hawai'i, and the violin. The first edition (1986) is widely considered the definitive reference work on the subject, and while some of the topics in this update appeared in the first edition, all are completely new to Grove Music Online and have been updated for the project.
This AmeriGrove update continues to expand the scope of Grove’s coverage, including 55 new articles on musical instruments, 51 on popular music post-1945, 29 on general terms, 26 on concert music post-1950, and 26 on jazz.
We invite you to explore this AmeriGrove update through this sampling of entries added:
This update also includes 113 new articles from the Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (GDMI). New biographies include Gustaf Andersson, John Avery, and David Sawyer, and new subject entries include the shaman drum, tabshi, and washboard.
We recently launched a program to bring new links to audio and video recordings and score facsimiles from within Grove Music Online articles, thanks to a partnership with Alexander Street Press. If you have a subscription to both Grove and Alexander Street Press’s Music Online, you can try out the new links in these articles:
Foster, Stephen C(ollins)
Ives, Charles (Edward)
Adams, John Luther
Beach, Amy Marcy
Benedict, Sir Julius
Bennett, William Sterndale
Boyd, Liona (Maria Carolynne)
Coltrane, John (William)
Cowell, Henry (Dixon)
Peaslee, Richard Cutts
Reznicek, Emil Nikolaus von
Sánchez de Fuentes (y Peláez), Eduardo
Wallace, (William) Vincent
Five years ago, in response to feedback from scholars, we launched UpdateGMO, a major program to ensure that Grove content remains authoritative and useful to researchers. This update includes 152 articles that were revised or newly commissioned through this program, including updated articles on contemporary Finnish composers as well as contemporary organists. A new article on opera singer Vivica Genaux has also been added.
Hundreds of articles have been updated through this program so far, but there is still much work to be done and we need your help. On behalf of the editorial team and Editor in Chief Deane Root, we invite you to participate by emailing the editors at updateGMO@oup.com to
- Submit updates to your articles
- Suggest corrections, revisions, or new articles
- Send us your current contact information
- Tell us what you think
Oxford Index Underbar
You now have access to the Oxford Index underbar (beta), a free tool that generates links to related content from all Oxford University Press online resources, including scholarly monographs, journal articles, and more. For example, if you’re researching “Mozart” on Oxford Music Online, the underbar will draw from a variety of Oxford resources to give you further results on that topic. Clicking the arrows located at the bottom of the browser will expand the underbar, enhancing your search experience. For more information about the Oxford Index discovery service, watch our video or go to the Oxford Index website.
- The January 2014 update featured 399 new AmeriGrove articles, including biographies of Louis Armstrong and George Gershwin.
- The November 2013 update featured 400 new articles from AmeriGrove, as well as an interview with AmeriGrove’s Editor in Chief, Charles Hiroshi Garrett.
- The March 2013 update featured 350 new AmeriGrove articles, as well as nearly 200 new articles from the forthcoming Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments.
- The December 2012 update featured 342 new AmeriGrove articles and introduced new multimedia links.
- The September 2012 update saw the addition of nearly 200 new AmeriGrove articles and increased coverage of specific music genres including country and bluegrass, musical theater, and hip hop.
- The March 2012 update increased coverage of American choral music as well as concert music after 1950.
- The December 2011 update included a focus on Australian composers and musical instruments.
- The July 2011 update included the first installment of 88 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments as well as 198 new articles from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, and featured articles about dance, film music and Hispanic/Latino music.
- The March 2011 update spotlighted the music education, music and dance, and Hispanic/Latino music articles included in the 198 new articles added from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The November 2010 update featured the continued content expansion of material from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, with a focus on 19th-century music, organ music, and scholars and librarians.
- The June 2010 update further expanded contemporary music coverage in Grove, and introduced 200 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The March 2010 update focused primarily on 19th-century American music, introducing 250 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The December 2009 update introduced 100 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, including entries on conductors, composers, educators, librarians, and subjects related to band music (instrument makers, bandmasters, and organizations).
- The September 2009 update focused on contemporary composers and announced the appointment of Deane Root as Editor in Chief. (Read the press release and Dr. Root's first Letter from the Editor.)
- The June 2009 update focused on new and revised articles on both operas and opera singers, drawn primarily from the Grove Book of Opera Singers.
We invite you to continue to provide us with your thoughts and comments regarding enhancements via the Contact Us form.