Oxford Music Online hosts Grove® Music Online and other Oxford music reference works. The site is updated three times per year, with new and updated articles, new tools for navigating content, and improved functionality.
Keep up to date with the latest news from Oxford University Press and Oxford Music Online
You can opt in to receive information from OUP in several different ways:
- Check this page regularly for the latest news related specifically to Oxford Music Online.
- To receive information about our latest publishing, including subject news and special offers, join our mailing list for North and South America or the UK, Europe and Rest of World.
- Connect via our Social Media channels: follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and via the OUP Blog.
August 2016 Update
Grove Music Online
- New content from AmeriGrove and the Instruments Dictionary
- Multimedia links
- Previous updates
Six years ago, in response to feedback from scholars, we launched UpdateGMO, a major program to ensure that Grove content remains authoritative and useful to researchers. This update includes 27 articles that were revised or newly commissioned through this program. Click here to see a list of articles added or updated for our Southeastern and East Central Europe Update Project. Click here to see a list of other revised and new articles included in this update.
Hundreds of articles have been updated through this program so far, but there is still much work to be done and we need your help. On behalf of the editorial team and Editor in Chief Deane Root, we invite you to participate by emailing the editors at updateGMO@oup.com to
- Submit updates to your articles
- Suggest corrections, revisions, or new articles
- Send us your current contact information
- Tell us what you think
With this update we note the addition of 250 new articles to Grove Music Online from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music (AmeriGrove), edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. The first edition (1986) is widely considered the definitive reference work on the subject, and while some of the topics in this update appeared in the first edition, all are completely new to Grove Music Online and have been updated for the project.
This AmeriGrove update continues to expand the scope of Grove’s coverage.
We invite you to explore this AmeriGrove update through this sampling of entries added:
We invite you to explore this Instruments update through this sampling of entries added:
Several Grove articles now contain links to audio and video recordings and score facsimiles, thanks to partnerships with Alexander Street Press and Naxos Music Library, accessible to users/institutions who have subscriptions to these sites. You can find articles that contain multimedia links by clicking on Advanced Search, entering “multimedia links”, and ticking the Bibliographies box. Below is a list of articles from this update that contain multimedia links:
David, Félicien, §1: 1810–44
Eskenazy [Eskenazi], Roza [Sarah Skinazi]
Kinkel [Mathieux; née Mockel], Johanna
Markopoulos, Yannis [Giannis]
Moscona(s) [Moschonas], Nicola [Nikolaos; Nikos; Nicolai]
Ninou, Marika [Evangelia Atamian]
Pears, Sir Peter (Neville Luard)
Rebetika [Rembetika; Rempetika] (sing. Rebetiko)
Stanchinsky, Aleksey Vladimirovich
Yudina, Maria (Veniaminovna)
- The March 2016 update featured 245 new AmeriGrove articles, 250 new Grove Instruments articles, and 53 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The December 2015 update featured 397 new AmeriGrove articles, 374 new Grove Instruments articles, and 68 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The August 2015 update featured 299 new AmeriGrove articles, 302 new Grove Instruments articles, and 283 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The April 2015 update featured 298 new AmeriGrove articles, 297 new Grove Instruments articles, and 249 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The December 2014 update featured 207 new AmeriGrove articles, 187 new Grove Instruments articles, and 356 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The September 2014 update featured 301 new AmeriGrove articles, 99 new Grove Instruments articles, and 356 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The March 2014 update featured 399 new AmeriGrove articles and 165 new and updated Grove Music Online articles.
- The January 2014 update featured 399 new AmeriGrove articles, including biographies of Louis Armstrong and George Gershwin.
- The November 2013 update featured 400 new articles from AmeriGrove, as well as an interview with AmeriGrove’s Editor in Chief, Charles Hiroshi Garrett.
- The March 2013 update featured 350 new AmeriGrove articles, as well as nearly 200 new articles from the forthcoming Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments.
- The December 2012 update featured 342 new AmeriGrove articles and introduced new multimedia links.
- The September 2012 update saw the addition of nearly 200 new AmeriGrove articles and increased coverage of specific music genres including country and bluegrass, musical theater, and hip hop.
- The March 2012 update increased coverage of American choral music as well as concert music after 1950.(Read the 2012 Letter from the Editor.)
- The December 2011 update included a focus on Australian composers and musical instruments.
- The July 2011 update included the first installment of 88 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments as well as 198 new articles from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, and featured articles about dance, film music and Hispanic/Latino music.
- The March 2011 update spotlighted the music education, music and dance, and Hispanic/Latino music articles included in the 198 new articles added from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The November 2010 update featured the continued content expansion of material from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, with a focus on 19th-century music, organ music, and scholars and librarians.
- The June 2010 update further expanded contemporary music coverage in Grove, and introduced 200 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The March 2010 update focused primarily on 19th-century American music, introducing 250 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The December 2009 update introduced 100 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, including entries on conductors, composers, educators, librarians, and subjects related to band music (instrument makers, bandmasters, and organizations).
- The September 2009 update focused on contemporary composers and announced the appointment of Deane Root as Editor in Chief. (Read the press release and Dr. Root's first Letter from the Editor.)
- The June 2009 update focused on new and revised articles on both operas and opera singers, drawn primarily from the Grove Book of Opera Singers.
- The March 2008 update introduced the relaunch of Grove Music Online. (Read Laura Macy’s Letter from the Editor.).
We invite you to continue to provide us with your thoughts and comments regarding enhancements via the Contact Us form.