- Percy M. Young
Town in Germany. It was formerly the seat of the Hohenzollern margraves of Brandenburg-Ansbach in Bavaria. The margravate was established in the 14th century. An organ was installed in the newly built parish church of St Johannis in 1435, but it was only after Georg ‘the Pious’ (ruled 1536–43) had recognized Lutheranism as the official creed that music began to assume considerable importance. After 1565, under the Kapellmeister Jacob Meiland and Teodore Riccio, the music staff of the court included Flemings, Italians and Saxons, and the repertory became more cosmopolitan. Martin Zeuner, organist of the collegiate church of St Gumbertus – for which a new organ was built in 1565 – was for 40 years a conspicuous (if sometimes quarrelsome) influence on the music of the town. In 1579 the margrave became Duke of Prussia, which required his staff to serve from time to time at his residence in Königsberg.
In the later 17th century the Ansbach court began to develop towards its final Baroque splendour, and this was also a climactic period in the musical life of the court. In ...