Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 22 November 2019

Bartók Quartetlocked

  • Tully Potter

Extract

Hungarian string quartet. It was founded in 1960 by Péter Komlós (b Budapest, 25 Oct 1935), Sándor Devich (b Szeged, 19 Jan 1935), Géza Németh (b Beregszász [now Beregovo, Ukraine], 23 July 1936) and László Mező, all students in Leó Weiner's chamber music class at the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest. At first they performed as the Komlós Quartet – making their Budapest début in 1958 – and played in orchestras, the leader and viola player as principals of the State Opera Orchestra and the second violinist in the Hungarian State Orchestra. In 1960 Károly Botvay (b Sopron, 29 Dec 1932) replaced Mező and in 1963 they were given permission by Bartók's family to use his name. The following year they won the international competition in Liège and commenced the tours which have taken them all over the world. In 1970 they performed in the United Nations General Assembly Hall; in ...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.