- Maurus Pfaff
- , revised by Manfred Schuler
Benedictine abbey near Sigmaringen, in the province of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It was founded as a house of Augustinian canons about 1077 and was granted ecclesiastical sanction by Pope Urban II in 1097. The buildings date from the 17th and 18th centuries; the church was built between 1732 and 1738. In 1802, when church property was secularized, the house went into the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family's possession, and the buildings were later presented by the Dowager Princess Katharina von Hohenzollern (1819–93) to two Benedictine monks, Maurus and Placidus Wolter. Beuron thus became a Benedictine monastery (1863) and in 1868 it was made an abbey. It became the parent monastery of a Benedictine congregation, with daughter houses in Belgium, Great Britain, Bohemia, Styria, Germany and Brazil. Although it was closed from 1875 to 1887 (because of Prussian Kulturkampf legislation) it became a leading centre of the 19th- and 20th-century liturgical movement, distinguished for its cultivation of the Roman liturgy, the monastic Offices and Gregorian chant, according to the regulations formulated at Solesmes by Guéranger and Pothier. The most prominent Kantors after ...