Chester, J. & W.
- Eric Blom
- , revised by Peter Ward Jones
English firm of music publishers. It was founded in Brighton by John Chester and his son William as a retail music shop in 1874, when they took over the branch office of Augener which John Chester had opened in 1860 or 1861. They established a reputation for service, and maintained both a large stock and a comprehensive lending library. In 1915 the firm was bought by Otto Marius Kling, and headquarters were set up in London, the Brighton house becoming a branch that was eventually sold. In addition to acting as agents, particularly for French and Russian publishers, the firm began its own publishing activities at this time, and soon entered into contracts not only with English composers such as Bantock, Bax, Lord Berners, Goossens and Ireland, but also with foreign composers such as Casella, Falla, Malipiero, Poulenc and Stravinsky. A small periodical, The Chesterian, was started in November 1915...