Coventry & Hollier
- William C. Smith
- , revised by Peter Ward Jones
English firm of music sellers and publishers, active in London from about 1833 to 1849. It published a number of important works, many from plates taken over when the firm succeeded Preston & Son, including many of Handel’s works originally issued by Walsh, Randall and others. Some of these plates were acquired by J. Alfred Novello (see Novello & Co) in 1849, after John Hollier had left the partnership. Charles Coventry was a keen advocate of Bach’s organ works, and among the firm’s original publications was the first English edition of many of the preludes and fugues in 1836, issued jointly with Cramer, Addison & Beale. Because few English organs of the time possessed pedal departments suitable for these works, they were also advertised as performable on the piano, with the pedal part being taken either by a second pianist or by a cello or double bass, for which a separate part, edited by Domenico Dragonetti, was provided. In ...