Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 15 October 2019

Hill(ii)locked

  • Charles Beare,
  • Arthur F. Hill,
  • Jaak Liivoja-Lorius
  •  and Christina Bashford

Extract

English firm of violin and bow makers, restorers and valuers. Joseph Hill (1715–84) was a pupil of Peter Wamsley in Piccadilly, London, before he established himself at the sign of the ‘Violin’ in Angel Court, Westminster, and in 1762 at the ‘Harp and Flute’ in Haymarket. At the latter address he made many violins, violas and especially cellos. His instruments were of all qualities; he was capable of refined and elegant workmanship, though more often there are signs of haste. The cellos are made on a good pattern with ample air-space, and have been praised. Of Joseph Hill’s five sons the elder two were quite well known as violin makers. William Hill (1745–90), no doubt after assisting his father, opened his own shop in Poland Street and largely followed his father’s patterns. By contrast, the first Lockey Hill (1756–1810) was a prolific maker mostly of inferior instruments, all rather scooped towards the edges and the cellos a little undersized....

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.

W.L. von Lütgendorff: Die Geigen- und Lauten-macher vom Mittelalter bis zur Gegenwart
[flourished]
R. Vannes: Essai d'un dictionnaire universel des luthiers