Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 10 December 2019

Hopkinsonlocked

  • Margaret Cranmer

Extract

English firm of piano makers. In 1837 John Hopkinson (b Chatham, 5 Dec 1811; d Criccieth, 4 April 1886) became a music professor in Leeds; his brother James joined him in new premises at 6 Commercial Street by 1841. The 1842 directory also lists them as music sellers and publishers; by 1845 they were advertising their own microchordon, cottage, semi-cabinet and cabinet pianos. Piano making became their sole activity by 1900.

In 1846 John opened a factory in London, James staying in Leeds until 1856, when another brother took over. Business flourished, and in 1851 they advertised in London (at 6 and 7 Store Street), claiming that their pianos were 30–40% cheaper than most other first-class instruments. In 1851 Hopkinson patented a grand piano action, whereby a ‘tremolo’ like that on a violin could be produced (patent no.13,652); such an instrument with 6⅞ octaves ‘in a neat plain mahogany case’ cost 110 guineas....

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.