- William Y. Elias
Israeli string quartet. It was founded in 1959 and the original members were Chaim Taub (b Tel-Aviv, 1 Aug 1925), Uri Pianka, Daniel Benyamini (b Tel-Aviv, 17 April 1925) and Uzi Wiesel (b Tel-Aviv, 8 Jan 1927). Pianka was replaced in 1963 by Menahem Breuer, who was in turn succeeded by Yefim Boyko (1971–83) and Lazar Schuster (from 1983). Taub was educated in Israel, studying the violin with Oedoen Partos, then at the Juilliard School of Music, New York, with Galamian (1947–51). After an engagement with the Pittsburgh SO he joined the Israel PO in 1959, and soon became its leader. He teaches at the Rubin Academy of Music, Tel-Aviv. Benyamini studied at the Shulamit Conservatory, Tel-Aviv, and then at the Jerusalem Academy. He joined the Israel PO in 1950 and became its principal viola in 1960. Wiesel studied at the Tel-Aviv Academy, in New York, and with Casals in Prades (...