Valentim de Carvalho
- Carlos de Pontes Leça
Portuguese firm of music publishers. It was founded in Lisbon in 1914 by Valentim de Carvalho (1888–1957). In 1953 it took over the firms of Neuparth & Carneiro and Heliodoro de Oliveira. Its record company, established in 1945, issues Portuguese music and re-recordings from about 20 foreign firms. The firm also owns studios for recording film soundtracks. Until the mid-1980s Valentim de Carvalho published educational works, piano music by Portuguese and foreign composers, and the ‘Polyphonia’ collection of scores in two series, one of popular Portuguese music, the other devoted to Portuguese music from the 16th century to the 18th (works by Manuel Cardoso, Francisco Martins, Filipe de Magalhães, King João IV, Diogo Dias Melgaz, Francisco António de Almeida and Carlos de Seixas). The company now specializes in record production; its record catalogue includes works by all the major Portuguese composers.T. Borba and F. Lopes Graça: Dicionário de música...