- Hans Conradin
- , revised by Andrew Clark
The largest city in Switzerland and the cultural centre of the German-speaking population. Intensive musical activity in Zürich can be traced back to the Middle Ages. The most important source of German Minnesang, the Heidelberg (‘Manesse’) Manuscript, originated in Zürich, and the services in the cathedral and the numerous monastic churches rivalled the most splendid in southern Germany. Ulrich Zwingli was pastor at the Grossmünster from 1519 until his death in 1531, and although he was musical, and competent on several instruments, he was firmly opposed to the use of music in divine service. Church music in Zürich ceased in 1525, and the organs were removed from the churches in 1527. Singing was reintroduced by order of the council in 1598, but it was not until the 19th century that the organ gradually resumed its place in the service.
In the 17th century music in Zürich was dominated by three collegia musica: the first was ‘zum Chorherrensaal’, followed by the ‘ab dem Musiksaal’ (from ...