- Mariangela Donà
Firm of Italian publishers. It was founded in Naples in 1912 by the brothers Giuseppe (1884–1953), Alberto (1886–1973) and Alfredo (1891–1952) Curci. Their grandfather Francesco (1824–1912) had opened a business at Naples in 1860 for the sale of musical instruments and for music copying, an activity which was then continued by his three children, Pasquale, Achille and Concetta. Pasquale’s sons, named above, started the publishing side of the ‘Casa Musicale Fratelli Curci’. This part of the business was at first known as Casa Editrice di Operette e Vaudevilles (CEDOV), and published musical comedies and operettas by Italian and foreign composers (Imre Kálmán, Oscar Straus, Jean Gilbert, Carlo Lombardo and Alberto Curci himself). The firm’s address changed in 1919 from via dei Tre Re to via Roma 304/5; in this year too, the brothers founded the society ‘Amici della Musica’ of Naples, organizing concerts by the greatest chamber musicians. With the development of the cinema as an art form, the Casa Curci began publishing film music by well-known composers including Mulè, Rossellini and Veretti....