- Barbara Owen
American firm of organ builders. Founded in Trenton, Illinois, in 1917 by Adolph C. Reuter (b Pomeroy, OH, 3 Dec 1880; d Lawrence, KS, 5 Jan 1971), Earl E. Schwarz and A.G. Ruegger, the firm moved to Lawrence in 1919. Reuter had previously worked for Barckhoff, Wicks and Casavant. Albert G. Sabol, Reuter’s nephew, joined the firm in 1917 as a designer and engineer; Sabol’s son, Albert Sabol jr, became president in 1964. The firm has always built electropneumatic-action organs, of which it had produced more than 2000 by the 1980s. In 1969 Reuter entered into a shortlived agreement to import tracker-action organs from Emil Hammer of Germany, but this was not particularly successful. R. Franklin Mitchell became a consultant to the Reuter Organ Co. in 1951, was named a vice-president in 1964, and became president in 1980 with Albert Neutel as vice-president; in 1983 Neutel became president and Mitchell chairman of the board. Mitchell favoured an ‘American classic’ approach to tonal design. The firm’s important organs include those for St Paul’s Methodist Church, Fort Worth, Texas (...