Cres (Ital. Cherso)
- Stanislav Tuksar
The largest settlement on the largest island (of the same name) in the Adriatic sea, seat of the municipality with about 3000 inhabitants. Today’s main economic activities consist of tourism, shipbuilding, fishing, and agriculture. Cres was originally populated by the Illyrian tribe of Liburns; later came the ancient Roman fortress (Crexa, Crepsa). From the 9th to 15th centuries it was within the Croatian Kingdom; from 1409 to 1797 under Venetian rule; from 1805 to 1814 under French rule; from 1815 to 1918 under Habsburg administration; and in 1918–43 under Italian occupation. Since 1945 it has been incorporated again into Croatia. The urbanized nucleus of the town of Cres has a local museum, town loggia, three town doors, a tower, the parish church of St Mary of the Snow (16th century), and several Gothic and Renaissance palaces and churches. The Franciscan monastery dates from the 14th century and the Benedictine convent from the 15th century. It was home of the noble Petris family, which gave birth to the well-known Renaissance Platonist philosopher Franciscus Patritius (Francesco Patrizi, Frane Petrić) and the composer Andrea Patricio (Andrija Patricij)....