- Cynthia Adams Hoover
- , revised by Edwin M. Good
American firm of instrument makers, predominantly of pianos and organs. It was founded in Cincinnati in 1862 by Dwight Hamilton Baldwin (1821–99). He attended the preparatory department of Oberlin College (1840–42) and was then a minister and school singing teacher in Kentucky and Ohio. Moving to Cincinnati in 1857 to teach music in schools, he also became in 1862 or 1863 a retailer of pianos and organs. D.H. Baldwin & Co. was formed in June 1873 when Lucien Wulsin (1845–1912), a clerk in Baldwin’s firm since 1866, became partner. Robert A. Johnson (1838–84) opened a Louisville branch in 1877 and became a partner in 1880. Three more partners joined in 1884: Albert A. van Buren, George W. Armstrong, Jr. (1857–1932), and Clarence Wulsin (1855–97), who ran an Indianapolis branch. Until the late 1880s the firm was one of the largest dealers in keyboard instruments in the Midwest as agent for such makers as Decker, Estey, J. & C. Fischer, and Steinway....