Bewsher & Fleetwood [Bücher]
- Michael Sayer
English firm of organ builders. It was established by 1818 in Liverpool as Bewsher & Fleetwood, and from 1845, when John Fleetwood (d 1847) left the firm, was known by the name of William Bewsher. The firm built an organ for St Mary’s Church, Caernarvon, in 1820, added pedal pipes to the Bernard Smith organ in Kendal Parish Church in 1824 and worked in Chester Cathedral (1825) and St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin (1831). An organ built in 1844 for Liverpool Collegiate Institute was transferred five years later to Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, where it remained until 1930; it was then moved to Kirkdale Baptist Tabernacle, but was destroyed in World War II. Their surviving organs have mostly been rebuilt by Gray & Davison, who purchased the firm in 1857, though a house-organ survives virtually unaltered in Hilderstone Parish Church, Staffordshire. Working alone, Fleetwood reportedly built an organ for Mulliingar Old Cathedral. His son Charles Mitchell Fleetwood (...