- Niall O’Loughlin
British firm of instrument dealers and wind instrument makers, active in London and Dublin until 1927. According to Rose (c1894), George Butler Sr (b c1800; d 1870) established his business in 1826 and was successor to the Dublin firm of Dollard, active c1810–36; this information, however, is suspect. According to census data, about 1833 Butler moved from Dublin to London where he worked first as a journeyman. The London concern was based at 17 Brydges Street (1858–60), 57 Greek Street (1860–65), and 29 Haymarket (1865–1913); the Haymarket operation was probably established by George Butler Jr (b c1834; d 1911). The Dublin business ran from 11 Ellis Quay (1868–82), 34 Batchelor’s Walk (1882–1926), and 2 Lower Abbey Street (1926–7). In the 1868 Musical Times Butler advertised concertinas, cornets, ‘clarionets’, drums, flageolets, flutes, harmoniums, saxhorns, violins, etc. From ...