Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 19 November 2019

Rodgers organlocked

  • Hugh Davies

Extract

An electronic organ, many models of which have been manufactured by the Rodgers Organ Co., founded as Rodgers Organ Instruments LLC in 1958 by Rodgers W. Jenkins and Fred Tinker, employees of Tektronix Inc. in Portland, Oregon. In 1960 Rodgers moved to its permanent home in Hillsboro, Oregon, and produced its first fully transistorized organ. In 1977 Rodgers became a division of CBS Musical Instruments and in 1985 part of Steinway Musical Properties; in 1988 it was purchased by the Roland Corporation. The product range consists mainly of large custom-built two- and three-manual models and includes church, concert, and theatre organs; the largest instruments, such as one used in Carnegie Hall, New York, have five manuals. The sounds were originally generated by an oscillator for each note in each stop; about 1980 microprocessor control of analogue circuitry was adopted. Nowadays digital sampling technology with two parallel audio channels is used to simulate stereophonic pipe organ sound. A white-noise ‘chiff’ circuit imitates the attack produced by flute stops in some pipe organs. Less common stops include Harp and Carillon (the latter is provided by an electromechanical system). In ...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.