B & S [Blechblas- und Signalinstrumentenfabrik Markneukirchen]
- Enrico Weller
[Blechblas- und Signalinstrumentenfabrik Markneukirchen]
Brass instrument manufacturer in Markneukirchen and Klingenthal. It was formed in 1953 as a national property company (Volkseigener Betrieb, or VEB) by the merger of Deutsche Signal-Instrumenten-Fabrik Max B. Martin in Markneukirchen (founded 1880/1891), VEB Sächsische Musikinstrumentenfabrik in Klingenthal (founded 1872 as Ernst Hess, brass instrument factory from 1935), and Georg Walther in Adorf (instrument case factory, founded 1925).
With more than 450 employees, B & S made every type of brass instrument with Périnet and rotary valves. The headquarters was in the former Martin factory in Markneukirchen, which had mainly produced signal instruments. The former Hess factory, which was expanded in 1967, became the centre of brass instrument and saxophone manufacturing. Trademarks were initially ‘Weltklang’ and, since the end of 1960s, the initials ‘B & S’. Since about 1960 most French horns made by the company have been marked with the master’s name ‘Hans Hoyer’....