- Christian H. Hoyer
A town near Nuremberg, Germany, known as an important centre of musical instrument manufacture. The imperial city of Nuremberg held a strong position in instrument making from the Middle Ages until the 18th century. Production revived after World War II when instrument makers from Czechoslovakia were resettled in the area. The community council of Bubenreuth—then a village of fewer than 500 inhabitants—decided in October 1949 that about 2000 displaced luthiers, bow and part makers, string spinners, tonewood dealers, lacquer and rosin producers, and instrument manufacturers from Schoenbach would be allowed to resettle there in the following ten years. Schoenbach, along with Graslitz, Markneukirchen, and Klingenthal, was formerly part of the Saxon-Bohemian ‘musical corner’ (Musikwinkel).
Thus, Bubenreuth was transformed from a farming village into a centre of German string instrument making, especially of violins, lutes, mandolins, banjos, zithers, and guitars of all kinds (classical, Western, archtop, semi-acoustic, and electric). Among companies and luthiers active there have been Dörfler, Framus, Glassl, Hanika, Hannabach, Hirsch, Höfner, Hoyer, Klier, Mettal, Paesold, Placht, Pyramid, Roth, Sandner, Schuster, Teller, and Wilfer....