Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 19 November 2019

Egan, John locked

  • Nancy Hurrell

Extract

(flc1803–39). Irish harp maker, active in Dublin. Apprenticed to a blacksmith in his youth, Egan constructed his first instrument in 1797, modelled on a French pedal harp; it sold immediately. He continued to produce harps, and by the early 1800s had become Dublin’s leading harp maker, patronized by the nobility and gentry. Egan established a manufactory at 25 Dawson Street (1804), later listed at 30 Dawson Street (1817–34), and resided on Cold-blow Lane (1834). A partnership of John Egan and Son was advertised in 1828, and he later joined with the firms of Egan, Read and Taylor (1835) and Egan, Read and Co. (1836), both at 21 Aungier Street. In 1819 the term ‘Inventor’ was added to his labels. Royal patronage was bestowed in 1821, and harps were thereafter inscribed ‘Maker by Special Appointment to His Most Gracious Majesty George IV’. In ...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.

[flourished]