- Hugh Davies
Electronic organ developed from the mid-1920s by Albert Henry Midgley and completed with Albert Morrell Midgley in 1937; a few instruments were produced by the organ builders J.W. Walker & Sons in Ruislip, Middlesex, from 1939, but manufacture ceased when World War II broke out. The Midgley-Walker had a standard organ console with full pedalboard. The sounds were generated by 12 rotating electrostatic tone-wheels, in each of which a dielectric disc rotated between two stators. Two sets each of nine dials controlled the addition of selected overtones required for two mutation stops. A.H. Midgley’s home contained a 1921 Compton organ of four manuals and 95 stops, with electric action. He patented an electropneumatic swell shutter device in 1922, and was technical adviser to the John Compton Organ Co. from 1923 and a director from 1933 to 1937. The Compton Electrone, designed by Leslie Bourn, was based on Midgley’s ideas, which he had patented in ...