Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 18 November 2019

Seilerlocked

  • Anne Beetem Acker

Extract

German piano manufacturer. It was founded by Eduard Seiler (b 1814; d 20 Sept 1875) in 1849 as Seiler Pianofortefabrik in Liegnitz, Silesia (Legnica, Poland); previously Seiler and another builder, Scholz, ran a piano repair shop, which had been begun in 1846. In 1872 Seiler was awarded a gold medal in Moscow. A steam-powered factory opened in 1873; it employed 100 workers in 1874. Eduard Seiler’s sons Paul and Max succeeded him after his death, but both died in 1879. In that year Eduard’s youngest son, Johannes (d 1907), who had apprenticed as a piano maker in the Seiler factory and elsewhere, became the technical director, and his brothers-in-law August Lauterbach and Oswald Kasig joined as sales managers. In 1882 the company began to produce its own actions and keyboards, previously supplied by others. New large buildings were added in 1896 and 1907, raising employment to 350, and annual output to ...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.