Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 19 October 2019

Santa Cruz de Tenerifelocked

  • Charles Pitt

Extract

Capital of Tenerife, in the Canary Islands. The Teatro de la Calle de la Marina was built in 1835 and became the island’s principal theatre. The first opera to be performed there was Constantino, an opera seria in three acts by Carlos Guigou to a libretto by José Placido Sansón, followed shortly by the same composer’s El templario. The present house was built in 1851 by Manuel de Oràa as the Teatro Isabel II; since 1924 it has been known as the Teatro Guimera, in honour of a local writer. The first opera presented, by the impresario and conductor Mariano Courtier, was Ernani (1861), followed by Il trovatore and Norma. In 1911 the architect Antonio Pintor completely remodelled the interior, reducing the seating from 1400 to 870. Miguel Fleta sang there in 1928, Hipólito Lázaro in 1930. The season is traditionally during October and November, when one performance of each of three or four operas is given, usually with an international cast. Alfredo Kraus, born in the Canary Islands, has been a frequent guest. Performances are given with the Tenerife SO, which during the rest of the year gives symphony concerts in the theatre....

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.