- Richard Macnutt
French firm of music publishers. It was established in Paris in January 1846 as Brandus et Cie when Louis Brandus (b Kremmen, 28 March 1816; d Paris, 30 Sept 1887) purchased the firm of Maurice Schlesinger. Brandus took over Schlesinger’s premises at 97 rue Richelieu, Paris; in December 1848 a move was made (or the house was renumbered) to 87 and later, in January 1851, to 103 rue Richelieu. In October 1850 Louis’s younger brother, Gemmy (b Berlin, 3 Jan 1823; d Paris, 12 Feb 1873), became a partner, and the firm of Troupenas (with which Brandus had for more than a year occasionally published) was acquired; for a time Troupenas’ premises at 40 rue Vivienne were retained. In 1854 Sélim-François Dufour (b Cherbourg, 18 March 1779; d Paris, 25 July 1872), who had previously been manager of Brandus’ outlet in St Petersburg (in existence ...