Show Summary Details

Page of

Printed from Grove Music Online. Grove is a registered trademark. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a single article for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy).

date: 04 July 2020

Steinmeyer, G.Flocked

  • Hans Klotz
  • , revised by Theodor Wohnhaas

Extract

German firm of organ builders. It was founded by Georg Friedrich Steinmeyer (b Walxheim, Württemberg, 21 Oct 1819; d Oettingen, 22 Feb 1901) who, after a period of study with A. Thoma of Oettingen, became an assistant of E.F. Walcker of Ludwigsburg, set up on his own in Oettingen in 1847 and produced his first organ in 1848 at Frankenhofen. Under his management over 700 organs were built including the cathedral organs of Bamberg, Munich and Speyer. His son Johannes Steinmeyer (b Oettingen, 27 June 1857; d Oettingen, 22 July 1928) became a partner in 1884, and owner in 1901. He was responsible for the preservation of the Trinity organ built by K.J. Riepp at the Benedictine abbey of Ottobeuren (restored despite the abbey’s plans for its reconstruction). In 1928 he built for Passau Cathedral the largest church organ in the world (at that time), with five manuals and 208 stops. His son Hans Steinmeyer (...

You do not currently have access to this article

Login

Please login to access the full content.

Subscribe

Please subscribe to access the full content.