- Hugh Davies
- , revised by Tony Bacon
A guitar developed in the late 1920s with one or more resonator discs, usually metal, mounted inside the body and connected to the bridge. It was developed in the USA by John Dopyera (b June 1893), the son of a Czech violin maker, and first manufactured by the National String Instrument Corp. (formed by Dopyera and others) in Los Angeles from 1927. Dopyera left the company in about 1929 and set up the Dobro Corp. with two of his brothers, Emil (‘Ed’) and Rudolph (‘Rudy’). The brand name ‘Dobro’, derived from the first syllables of ‘Dopyera brothers’, was devised at this time (it is also the word for ‘good’ in Slavonic languages). Besides resonator guitars, the company marketed resonator ukuleles, banjos, mandolins, four-string tenor guitars, and double basses, and in the early 1930s produced one of the first Spanish electric guitars, which had magnetic pickups designed by Victor Smith....