Revising Grove Music Online
Grove Music Online publishes hundreds of new articles and article revisions each year with the help of many dedicated scholars. We have several different programs for updating and introducing new articles that work together to make sure we are giving the right kind of attention to each article and subject area and that we are making the most of the work we can do with the resources we have available. If you would like to help keep Grove Music Online up to date, please contact us.
· Community Suggestions: To suggest a correction or update, or recommend a new article, contact us at email@example.com.
· UpdateGMO: Our author updating program. Find out more about how to get involved. Current projects include:
o Scheduled updates for authors
o Most Used Articles and Contemporary Musicians.
· Advised UpdateGMO: We work with scholarly societies or study groups to oversee the development and updating of a given field. Current projects include:
o French music and musicians of the "long" nineteenth century, in partnership with France: Musiques, Cultures, 1789-1918
o Seventeenth-Century Music, in partnership with the Society for Seventeenth-Century Music
o Music scholars, in partnership with the American Musicological Society’s Committee for the History of the Society (details coming soon).
· Edited Online Projects: These projects are overseen by an Editor in Chief who is an expert in the field covered, with or without the assistance of an editorial board, depending on the scope of the project. We use projects like these to help us update areas where our coverage needs a lot of expansion and/or reorganization. Current and recent projects include:
o Australia (Editor in Chief: the late Richard Toop)
o Contemporary Composers (Editor in Chief: Jonathan Cross, Grove Editorial Board)
o Latin American and Iberian Music (Editor in Chief: Walter A. Clark)
o Southeastern and East Central Europe (Editor in Chief: Jim Samson)
o Women, Gender, and Sexuality (Editors in Chief: Kimberly Francis and Tes Slominski).
· Books: Grove Music Online, of course, began in print and continues to publish print books of articles that are also published online. The following titles are either fully a part of Grove Music Online, are in the process of being added to the site, or are forthcoming:
o The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992)
o The Norton/Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1995)
o The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd edition (2001)
o The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition (2002)
o The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013, in process)
o The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014, in process)
o Grove Essentials (ebook series) (2015—)
o The Grove Music Guide to American Film Music (2019)
o Grove Musics in Global Perspective, series (forthcoming).